There are bound to be weeks where you're traveling or too busy to use up all of your CSA share. We all lead busy lives! This happened to us over the weekend. I picked up our beautiful share Saturday morning at the Market, I also happened to get engaged on Friday night! Knowing there would be LOTS of celebrating and eating out, I decided we needed to give greens as a “hostess gift” for a party we were scheduled to attend Saturday evening. Giving excess goodies from your CSA is great for many reasons:
1. It exposes others to the wonderful produce that is grown organically, so close to home!
2. It eliminates food waste in the instance you are unable to use all your share.
3. It inspires others to eat more healthy foods.
4. Wine as a host/hostess gift can get repetitive. Change it up and stand out.
5. It's a conversation starter. Everyone knows what wine is, but does everyone know how to use a bok choy?!
There is nothing worse than letting beautiful vegetables go to waste! To give as a gift, simply wrap greens in damp paper towels and tie with baker’s string or ribbon. It gives it a festive look while keeping greens fresh en route.
Ali Price is a Root 5 Farm CSA member and local food educator. She provides group and private cooking lessons to folks in the Upper Valley. She is also an aspiring Health Coach and born and raised veggie lover.
Search Recipes by Month:
Search Recipes by Ingredient