Eggplant is best eaten fresh. If you need to store it, keep it at a cool room temperature and not in the fridge.
To freeze, roast eggplant using the directions for the baba ganoush recipe below, then scoop out and freeze to be used later in dips/spreads. Or, use this recipe to bake eggplant in slices, then allow to cool and freeze in containers or Ziploc bags to be used later in Eggplant Parmesan, stir fry, or casseroles.
- Eggplant can be peeled but isn't necessary, especially with the skinny Asian varieties.
- Slice eggplant and lightly salt. Let sit for 10-15 min. the squeeze out excess liquid. This reduces the amount of oil needed to cook the eggplant.
- Top pasta with sautéed eggplant.
- Grill slices of eggplant with other vegetables.
- Dip chunks of eggplant in flour or in eggs and seasoned breadcrumbs. Sauté in hot oil until lightly brown. Season with herbs, garlic, grated cheese, etc.
- Add to stir fries or pasta sauce.
Root 5 Farm Pan-Fried Eggplant Over Kale and Arugula with Tomato-Basil Confit
Balsamic Grilled Eggplant