store up to 1 week
Store unwashed in a perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator.
For longer storage, snap into pieces (or leave whole if young and tender), blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes, cool immediately, and drain. Leave 1/2 in. of headroom before freezing in containers. Beans can also be pressure cooked and canned or pickled as dilly beans.
- To prepare, break off the top of the bean at the stem end.
- Best when blanched or steam for 5-10 min.
- Beans are done when the color begins to brighten and become tender (not soft or mushy).
- If you serving the beans cold in a salad, cook them less so they stay crisp.
- Simply flavor with butter, lemon juice, sautéed onions, or herbed vinaigrette.
Root 5 Farm Green Bean Recipes
Green Bean Salad with Fried Almonds and Fennel
Arugula, Potato and Green Bean Salad
Green Bean Slaw
Cream of Fresh Green Bean Soup
Stir-Fried Green Beans with Tofu and Chili
Green Bean Salad with Lime Vinaigrette and Quinoa